Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Ten Rules to a Good Life

So far in life, I've been lucky enough to have a) some amazing role models, and b) been taught to pay attention to the world around me.

Now, yesterday my sister came to town with my niece, who is only about eight weeks old, and as I sat there with her, I thought about the legacy I would like to pass on to her. This further led me to think about all of the advice and direction I'd received, from countless sources... and as I drove to work, I decided to record them here.

What follows are ten guidelines that I hope will help Wren lead a good life - taken from all of the people, places and things I've come across so far in this world.
  1. Every day is a gift - wake up and take advantage of the opportunity you've been given.
  2. Plan for the future, but live in the day.
  3. Smile when you answer the phone - the person on the other end will appreciate it.
  4. When someone does something for you, whether they have to (ie. a waiter) or not, thank them sincerely.
  5. Always be honest. You do nobody any favors by misleading them - in fact, you only hurt your relationship when someone else tells them the truth.
  6. Life isn't fair - the sooner you get over it, the better.
  7. You are never too busy to exercise, call your family, or stop and feel the sun on your face.
  8. Don't lower yourself to the average - set your personal bar high, and lead others to try and exceed yours.
  9. Eat well - but give yourself a break every now and then.
  10. And finally, of course - always wear sunscreen.

~Guy

No comments: