Wednesday, October 1, 2008

"Suck it up, Princess..."


About 10 years ago, this catch phrase was pretty popular between my brother, sister and I. Now, it was used in jest, but the truth is, it helped me put things in perspective. See, if any of us were ever complaining about a trivial thing, or worse, complaining without making the effort to improve our situation, one of my two favorite siblings would "call me out" by saying the above to me... and believe me, I would do the same for them.

I think there needs to be more of this happening these days.

Have you ever noticed that the people who complain the most, often have the least to whine about? The thing is, there are a lot of people who have it worse than me, and I know that. If not today, then sometime in the past they've had to deal with a lot more adversity than I have - and for me to complain, when I've got a good job, a roof over my head, my health, family and friends... well, to do that would be an insult to everyone who isn't so fortunate.

So to those of you who feel so terribly hard done by, and want to make sure that we all know how tough your life is, I have some suggestions:
  • If you can't afford where you live, move.
  • If you're tired, sleep.
  • If you're injured, get help.
  • If you're hours are low, build them.
Honestly, if you have a problem and need help, I will do everything I can to do so. But if you come to me and I offer solutions, and you choose to ignore them all without even trying simply so that you can continue to whine about how hard done by you are...

...then suck it up, Princess.

1 comment:

Justine Boulin said...

I love it, thanks Guy. so easy, yet so hard. Also similar to the sus blog I wrote today - we are in ultimate control of where we are and our state.. so if you're complaining, then simply change it.