Tuesday, May 19, 2009

.my R knee.




Well, for fun, here’s a little piece of my last week. Starting on day0 (the day before surgery)



Day 0 - Mon11


Up early today. Heading in to train 5hrs before my assessment at 12noon with Dr. Day



Day 1 – Tues12


Well I’m sure this is the last comfortable sleep in that I will have for awhile so I took advantage of it. I don’t have to be at the Cambie Clinic till 11am and I’m not allowed to eat or drink so getting ready will be a snap.


A quick cab and I’m there – a very posh clinic by the way. I was right on time to wait…sounds funny, but it’s true. I remember walking into the surgery room at 12:45, that room was high tech - wow. Anyway, by the time I realized this one nurse was distracting me from what the anaesthetist was doing I was out. I remember smiling and telling them that I was falling aslee….


I woke up in this room…actually I was woken up and brought back to reality. Right away I could feel my knee…well, I was out of it, but my leg was bandaged and I couldn’t bend it. I hung out for a bit and then a nurse got me dressed.


My sister came to pick me up. They wheeled me out and I got in her car. I must have bent my knee too much because when I got home, my bandage was bleeding a bit. So I took a couple pain pills and started to ice my knee. A little while later I realized that 2pills was a bit too much because I was a total vegetable. I couldn’t get around very well and the leg was stiff. Lots of phone calls for support and funny emails.



Day 2 – Wed13


Oh ya, that sleep sucked. I had my mum call me at 3am (I wasn’t supposed to be home alone after a general) anyway, I was fairly uncomfortable last night.


9am – front door – Canada post – care package, thanks linda!


Crutches were key for the morning. Food, ice and elevation. Very sore and stiff today.


Once I got moving the knee really started to feel good. Very sore, but I can kinda put weight on it. Humm, interesting. Can’t bend it very far and anytime I use it I need to sit and elevate it right away.


The clinic called to check in. Great customer service from those guys – just like us – a follow up the next day.



Day 3 – Thurs14


The pain when I woke up today was intense. I didn’t have my crutches by my bed so in the morning I actually had to hop over to where they were. Even walking around for the first little bit, the knee was really sore and stiff. Wow, the leg was full of fluid and tight. I spent a lot of time massaging it and working the range of motion.


It took a long time but the knee warmed up and I was able to walk up and down the stairs in my building. Well I had to because I drove to get some ibuprofen! It wasn’t hard at all, but getting in and out of the car was super painful (bending that much) + it took me forever to walk to the store and back – like 5min each way!


Lots of ice and elevation after that drive.



Day 4 – Fri15


This morning was still sore. Lots of time was needed to warm up the leg and knee. Working on the computer is not bad (but need to have my leg out to the side resting on a stool up high)


Can actually feel my R quad working and it feels smooth behind my knee cap!


I’ve been looking at my bike just sitting there…its been calling out to me. So I thought, why not?


I positioned the bike by the wall in the hallway. I took the chain off the front ring and got on. I was able to spin without tension and lightly lean my elbow on the wall. I did 2x10min spin. I am so pumped today!



Day 5 – Sat16


It’s nice to have the ibuprofen and be off the pain pills. The pain in the knee is still bad, but the ice helps. Very stiff and hard to walk around – I have been wearing my Birkenstocks and it feels pretty good.


Less time to warm up and 2x15min spin with lots of stretching today.



Day 6 – Sun17


Up early and icing. Warm up drills and walking around with less of a limp. It seems to get worse the more I move or if I keep it bent when seated.


Ok, I’m feeling confident and positive. I grab my bike and my bike shoes. Down to my car to pump up my wheels. Clip / clip – I’m riding my bike! (first time this year!) Small ring up front and flat ground around…it feels good. The range of motion feels good and I only spent 25min out there! I wanted more but I could hear that voice telling me to go back home and you guessed it…ice and elevate.



Day 7 – Mon18


Ok, a little sore this morning ;) but it’s a good feeling. Same same routine with the ice and elevation.


Good warm up and a little walking around my building. Need to get my head around working tomorrow.



Day 8 – Tues19


Back to work! I scheduled myself with an hour off every 3hrs so I can elevate and ice my knee to stay ahead of any swelling. I’ve been told that within a week I’ll feel even better…all I know is that I’ll be back on my bike and am planning to lead a beginner group next weekend! Yee haa!



I am so excited to have had the surgery and know that I will be back in full effect soon. As I sit here writing IFCP emails I think, wow, the knee was hurt during last year’s event (I hurt it on the west coast trail) it took around 4months to figure out it was damaged, 2months to diagnose, 1month for surgery and 1week to recover…just kidding, step by step – regardless, by June I’ll be riding a lot more in preparation for Cyclebetes Australia!

No comments: