Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A True Legacy

When I was in junior high school, I had a project to do in Social Studies. We had to take a song, analyze it and do a presentation on it. Now, the presentation itself was fairly forgetful (trust me), but the song itself - "The Cat's in the Cradle" by Harry Chapin, resonated.

See, all too often we get caught up in the small details of every day - and although I'm not particularly against material goods (love my new Garmin GPS heart rate monitor, for example), at the same time, thanks to the song, I'm able to put things into perspective. Most recently, I had the opportunity to go back home and surprise my family for my niece's first birthday. I'd missed her first Christmas, but the only thing preventing me from going home on this particular weekend was the cost. I didn't really have the money available at the moment, but when I broke down what it would mean in the long run - I realized I couldn't afford not to.

Remember, there's only one true way to leave a legacy - and it's by passing it on to the next generation and hoping it continues long, long after you're gone.

A hundred years from now, it will not matter what your bank account balance was, the sort of house you lived in, or the kind of car you drove, but the world may be different because you were important in the life of a child.

Anonymous
~Guy

No comments: