Friday, September 5, 2008

The Extra Mile


Roger Staubach said there are no traffic jams along the extra mile. This evening I had to make a trip to a store to pick up a few much needed items for a race this weekend. Time is valuable to everyone and I am no exception. I went in armed with a list and my hopeful determination to find everything in the least amount of time possible.

Upon arrival I did what any one would do in a similar situation, I made a beeline to the nearest available member on staff. He was conversing with a fellow employee and me being a polite Canadian, I waited. He finished and I asked him to help me. He turned to me and demanded to know exactly how many items I had on my list. I was a little taken aback; shouldn’t he want to help me?

He dutifully started walking me around the store helping me find the items on my list. About half way through my list he turned to me and said that he was almost done with me. My facial expression must have given away the fact that I was not impressed, and he quickly went on to explain that his shift was almost done so he may not be able to help me find everything.

As he was providing me with an explanation for his lack of service I started to drop some of my recent finds. He looked at me with a pained expression and said that I might need a basket. Then proceeded to tell me they were by the door that I walked through on the way in. If that wasn’t enough, he then turned his back on me to talk to his co-worker, sitting on the counter.

I will never go to that store again. In fact, I will go out of my way to not purchase anything from them and I will be sure to tell others about how poor the service was that I received while there. This incidence only helps to highlight how important service is to our customers. And that the reason that there are no traffic jams along the extra mile is because so few chose to give more than what is expected from them. Give more.

No comments: