Wednesday, September 24, 2008

"Reality" Television

It's become it's own niche. It runs from the sublime ("Mythbusters") to the ridiculous ("Trading Spouses"). For the most part, I don't watch it - though I'll admit a weakness for "The Amazing Race" - but every now and then, flipping through the channels, I'll get caught up in it.

And once in a while, I actually get something other than a momentary diversion from it. Such is what happened the other night, when I came across "Canada's Worst Handyman".

Now, I don't do renovations, and the actual basis of the show is only vaguely interesting to me. No, what actually caught my eye and got me to sit up and pay attention was when they nominated the "project leader" (the individual the experts deemed the most improved), to coordinate and direct the others on a singular project for which they all had to work together to complete.

It was, unsurprisingly... a disaster.

And you know why? Because the person who was leading them all had absolutely no idea what he was doing, was a bad communicator, was even worse with relating to people, and could not, if his life depended on it, actually inspire anyone. When he was frustrated, he showed it, he blamed others for the project's failure, and he actually went as far as to kick someone off of the project.

Sound familiar? I hope you're not thinking about yourself.

For me, going forward, whenever I have to lead and direct others (for example, if I'm the point man on a destination or event), I will remember what I saw Joe "The Bullet" do on Canada's Worst Handyman... and make a point to do absolutely everything the opposite way.

~Guy

No comments: