Thursday, September 4, 2008

No Fear

Fear plays a huge impact in all of our lives. Some people have more fears than others. The fear of failure is perhaps the strongest force holding people below their potential and thus preventing to live the life to their fullest. In a world full of uncertainty, a delicate economy, and countless misfortunes that could happen to anyone, it’s easy to see why most people are inclined to play it safe. Over the years growing up, I had a few fears and thus it limited me from experiencing my life to the fullest. Some of my fears included always caring what others thought of me, taking risk with my money, talking to people and taking my career to the next level.

But playing it safe has risk as well. If you never dare to fail your success will have a low ceiling. Most people underestimate their merit and ability to recover from failure, leading them to pass up valuable opportunities. Think about this past weekend. If the West Coast Trail group played it safe and did not strive to complete the trail in 1-3 days; then they would never know that they could do it in a time frame which most think is impossible. I hear so many stories at Innovative Fitness in which ownership/coaches keep raising the bar and thus the ceiling for success becomes greater. The ability to fail big and fail often has been a mark of the spectacularly successful throughout history.

Here are a list of my fears and how it has affected me:

· Always caring what people thought of me. This allowed me to really focus on myself and create a unique self. I don’t really care that much anymore.

· Taking risks with money. Lost over $15,000 in the stock market in the last year. Allowed me to realize that money comes and goes. Allowed me to live life with no regrets since I took the risk and invested my money. Question is; would I invest money in the stock market again (of course).

· Talking to people I did not know well. I really wanted to be more comfortable and be able to communicate better with people I did not know, so I took the small steps to get myself more comfortable around people. Worked at Aldo shoes practicing servicing and my communication skills, started to personal train to develop relationships with people and worked at IF to get a great grasp on the art of communication.

· Taking my career to the next level. Taking on more responsibility each month and building my confidence one step at a time.

Now think of some of the fears you had over the years or the fears you have today. Quite frankly, in this day and age life is too short to say “WHAT IF”?

No comments: