Thursday, January 29, 2009

Pay it Foward

Do you remember when you were the new coach at Innovative Fitness? Did you feel welcomed? Did you feel like you were part of the team? I am sure if you are reading this you answered yes to all three. Now, do you remember the time where you walked into a previous job for the first time and you were not welcomed? Did you feel a team dynamic or did you get the feeling everybody is just in their own little box and all about themselves.
When you went through orientation at Innovative Fitness, did the employees really take the time to help you or did it feel like they were helping you because they were forced to.

Well, let me explain my experience. Walking into West Vancouver Innovative Fitness 3 years ago was a different experience than my previous jobs. I felt welcomed the second I walked into the facility and heard my name being yelled. Although I felt welcomed, I did not feel comfortable at the beginning. I was definitely outside my comfort zone but the more coaches took the time to get to know me and share their experiences at IF, I started to feel more comfortable and started to slowly feel at home. I slowly started to trust the coaches who took the time to help me. Those are the coaches today who I appreciate their feedback since they invested time in me from the start. It was a long and slow process but the feedback I received allowed me to climb the mountain and become a very successful professional coach today. If I was not welcomed on the team, who knows where I would be today!
Over the past few weeks there has been a few new faces in our home at IF West Vancouver. These new recruits have been going through orientation. This can be quite scary and nerve racking experience; especially for these candidates. The better job we do as a team to make them feel welcomed and get to know them, the more comfortable they will become with the team and they will become more accepting to feedback. So now is the time to get to know our new teammates. It is great to see the coaches working as a team to work with the new recruits. The better coaches our new recruits become, the better our team becomes.

No comments: