Tuesday, January 27, 2009

We all need some help sometime



No matter who you are – no matter where you are from – chances are, you will need some help at one point or another.

Now I’m no saint. I must admit to judging people by their cover sometimes – I can’t always help it. I see someone who looks unkind – I think they are ‘mean’. I see someone ‘large’ I may think they are slow. I see someone who may be homeless – I could even think they are a bum. When I was younger you may have even witnessed me passing judgment verbally – but that’s another blog…

I live in the East Side and the sight of homeless people doesn’t really shock me. In fact, there are plenty of them – one needs to make a game out of the inevitable interactions, because it’s not if, it’s when you’re going to be speaking with them…

A few years ago I was on route from my car to my local shopping center – I had some stops along the way, banking, the post office etc. I was coming up to a man that was going to ask me for change. He didn’t look too hot either. I was thinking what I should say to him to keep the situation light and easy (it’s not like I’d just pretend he wasn’t there – I do have respect)

So as I approached him, I locked eyes with him and before he could say anything I said, ‘do you have any spare change?’ thinking that I stumped him, he came right back, ‘sure’, he responded with a smile – he dug into his pocket, pulled out some loonies and toonies and passed five dollars in coins my way, ‘we all need some help sometime’

I was totally shocked. I didn’t know what to say – so I simply said, ‘thanks, thank you for that’. He simply nodded and looked over my shoulder to the next passer by…

As I walked away I thought to myself wow, what a turn of events. Such a small gesture of cash, but what a profound statement from this man…

It made me realize – first off, don’t judge a book by its cover, but more importantly don’t discount the possible lesson that may be just around the next corner stemming from the least most expected situation…

No comments: