Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Accept the Consequences

Those of you who know me and have read my story, know that when I was younger I tended to bristle at authority. If a person in a position of "power" said something that didn't immediately comply with my narrow perspective, I immediately dismissed their opinion and mounted my own little rebellion (obvious, if not overt). Although I've been working on changing this (since more often than not it simply turns into outright bull-headed stubbornness), it would probably not surprise most that, in fact, I'm against too much government interference in the day-to-day running of business.

There are, however, exceptions - and the auto industry is a great example. Rick Wagoner, CEO of General Motors, was essentially told to step down by the Obama administration. This raised the ire of many, including his opponent in the election, John McCain. My thoughts?

Damn right they should get involved.

They are sitting with their hands out, asking for billions of dollars in taxpayers money - but they don't think that the people giving them the money should be able to set any conditions?

Wrong.

They have two options - take it, or leave it. Yes, it may seem like they have no choice but to take it or else they'll see the entire company collapse, but they were part of the reason that it would up in that position in the first place... the fact of the matter is that Wagoner is just one of the pieces of the puzzle, but someone has to be held accountable...

And the captain should always go down with his ship - or at least make the sacrifice necessary to keep it afloat. Bottom line - the only unfortunate part of this is that someone else had to force it to happen.

Remember - Wagoner was one of three CEOs who went to Washington with their hands out asking for help... but flew there in private jets.

The time's come to pay the piper.

~Guy

No comments: