Thursday, November 12, 2009

Taking a break and starting fresh.

We all know that making the right decisions inevitably make a difference. However, the road getting there can be quite lengthy and challenging.

Looking back almost a year ago now, I was forced to re-evaluate my training, my racing and how I was treating my body. It’s difficult when something you work so hard at does not want to cooperate. I was exhausted and I was in constant pain – I felt defeated. Although, I kept thinking to myself, “It will get better, just keep going”, and so I did.

I’m not someone who is ever going to stop. I want to be able to run, ride, swim, ski and do absolutely everything I possibly can until I truly can’t. As we all know, if we continue to push without any give, there comes a point where our bodies will eventually just shut down. Mentally I wanted to continue, but my body knew that I needed to take a step back.

It was not an easy decision to just stop and take a ‘time-out’. However, I knew that it would be the most beneficial thing for me to do. I’m incredibly thankful for the guidance and support of those around me. Their direction and assistance has been tremendously helpful. I truly would not have been able to do it without them. Furthermore, I feel fortunate that I’ve been able to recognize what my physical and mental strengths and weaknesses are during this process. I know what I need to focus on. The process has been long, painful and testing – however, I’m grateful for everything that I’ve learned along the way.

And so now, I start a fresh new journey… I look forward to new challenges and obstacles.


Nina Mathers

No comments: