Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Leadership in OUR Reality

We've all heard and read, many times, what makes a good leader. Normally, I like to take a situation or event from the news and try to highlight circumstances or situations that serve as examples for what I'm talking about.

I'm going to bring this one a little closer to home.

I spent some time this last weekend watching how we all interact - with customers, with each other, with friends... and one person stood out for me, because I realized upon reflection how many traits I personally would like to emulate. In a weekend of BIG highlights, his didn't necessarily come to the forefront - in fact, it was almost the opposite. Although he is still new to his role, still developing his own style, I really believe we all need to pay attention to what he already brings - and if we're smart, we'll try to incorporate some of these things into what we do.

  • He is a gentleman - his manners, his courtesy and his attitude are a throwback to a time when people actually made the effort to hold the door for each other, to offer a hand up, to carry someone's bag.
  • He is classy - he always carries himself with a quiet dignity.
  • He cares - when he asks you a question, he gives you his full attention until you're finished answering.
  • He shares - he will take the time to answer your questions, no matter what he's doing.
  • And most importantly - he does not need to win, be seen as the best, or take the number one spot. Now, don't misunderstand me - he's a competitor of the highest level and wants to win - but he will ALWAYS let someone else shine, especially if it's important to them.
All of these things are the reason that people will seek him out for advice, want to spend time with him, and ultimately, help him to leave a legacy - because he will help them to be better than he is, with no ego standing in their way.

Jeff Dallin - I look forward to seeing you continue to grow and develop so that I can learn more and more from you.

~Guy

1 comment:

Jeff Dallin said...

Thank you Guy! I have to say, the people I am lucky enough to spend time with make these things easy