Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Big Decision...






IMC

This past Monday morning, I made the decision and registered for next year’s Ironman Canada. After spending the weekend in Penticton and feeling the unbelievable energy that surrounds this event and then watching the race on Sunday – the decision was easy – and I can honestly say I have never been so ecstatic about anything before.
From the moment that I saw the swimmers in the water with their pink and blue swim caps and the sun hitting their wetsuits, to hearing disc wheels fly by and then the look of complete elation when the runners where coming down the last stretch knowing they were steps to victory – I knew that I needed to be in their shoes – everything just clicked.
More importantly, I would have to say; watching Scott, Chris, James and Caroline complete their first Ironman was absolutely amazing and inspirational. Seeing them throughout the day – as they rode, ran and crossed the finish line was unbelievable. Their dedication, drive, physical and mental strength throughout their year of training was perfectly exemplified this past Sunday and was astonishing to watch.

Completing an Ironman has always been on my to-do list. As one of the world’s most prestigious events, it would always come up in the back of my mind and I knew that one day I would complete one – and my time is now. The excitement for this upcoming year cannot even be put into words. All I do know, is that my heart skips, and I start to smile when I think about running into the water at 7am with 2500 other people to start my 3.8km swim, 180km ride and 42.2km run.
The very early mornings, the brick sets, the back-to-back days, and the longs hours are what I’m looking forward to. It is going to be an amazing challenge on a variety of levels. Physically, mentally and emotionally it is going to be a journey of a lifetime – one which I will never forget – starting from the moment I knew that this was what I was going to do.
The next year is not going to be easy – it will have it ups and downs. However, what I do know is that August 31, 2010, I will be a competitor at Ironman Canada.

-Nina Mathers

No comments: