Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Problem with Taxes


So - I got my pay stub today. And as per usual, roughly 28% of my income was deducted - with a fair portion of it being income tax.
Now, my problem with taxes isn't so much that it happens in the first place - I mean, consider what it's used for. Healthcare, the road systems, the judicial system... no, on principle, not only does it make sense - I actually prefer it to the alternative.
However, my issues with paying out some of my hard-earned money for these things is that the money is so completely mishandled. When I see things like the base salary for our current members of parliament ($141,000 per member, not inclusive of party leaders or our esteemed Prime Minister), well - then I start getting annoyed. Seems to me that the money should be going to the services needed first, before we start paying ourselves such large amounts. Then, when these same people who are making such a large amount turn around and start pushing for an election, less than a year after the last one happened (that's you, Mr. $208,000 per year Ignatieff) at a cost of around $300,000,000, and I figure that's where my tax dollars are going... BEFORE health care, transport, judicial, etecetera.... well, that's when I get steamed. Because frankly, that's not a good use of our money.
So the next time you get a paycheque, take a moment to see how much the government is taking from you, and ask yourself if you feel your money is being spent in a way you consider worthwhile.
I'm willing to bet you won't. And then you're going to start seeing more and more useless wastes of money - your money.
That seething you'll begin to feel deep down in your gut? That's the price of knowledge.
Welcome to the club.
~Guy

No comments: