Friday, September 18, 2009

Life Lessons Learned from Training for a Triathlon


I was browsing through a fitness magazine, and I came across this article written by someone who had recently started training for a triathlon, after a brief hiatus from the workout world. While training, he would ponder life lessons that were analogous to hard work, and dedication of any kind. Below, you will read his 6 life lessons learned while training for a triathlon:


  1. Get started – I have been fascinated with triathlons ever since the 1980’s when I witnessed the true meaning of human strength, determination, and courage when Julie Moss collapsed and then crawled across the finish line to place second at the Hawaii Ironman. That was over twenty years ago! If I had pursued my interest in triathlons then, who knows where I would be now. Likewise, if you are thinking about making a life change; a new job, a trip around the world, or launching a small business… don’t wait. Get started today!

  2. You have to do the miles (yourself) – some days during my training when it was rainy, miserable out, or I just felt lazy I really wished there was someone that I could have paid to go out on the bike for me, or perhaps to swim my laps. However, as with any worthwhile goal, you have to get out there and put in the hard work in order to get to the desired end result. If you are studying at university or trying to run 3 miles for the first time it’s not always easy or pleasant, but being persistent and doing homework or running when you don’t feel like it WILL payoff in the long term

  3. Some days it’s going to rain – actually, it might not only rain but you might get two flat tires at the same time, too. Pursuing personal goals is not always “flowery” and perfect. In fact, some days are going to downright suck.

  4. Take a break – throughout my various training runs and bike rides I would often find myself winding up at the beach as a halfway point during a workout. Many days I would stop for five or ten minutes to think about what I have done, what I need to do, why I was doing it. If you’ve been working hard, don’t be afraid to take a break and give yourself a well-deserved pat on the back or to reflect on your goals.

  5. When you reach a hill put your head down and take it one step at a time – Most days of my training I was either running or biking and I would always come across hills of varying magnitudes. Though, there is one hill in particular on my route that begins as a slow grade and continues to get steeper and steeper over the course of a mile. Frequently, especially in the beginning of my training, I would arrive at the base of this hill and want nothing more than to give up and walk. But, invariably I would put my head down and keep telling myself to just keep putting one foot in front of the other and before I knew it, I would be at the top. Have you hit any rough patches in life lately? Even though it is not always the solution sometimes you just have to put your head down, take what comes, and plow ahead one-step at a time.

  6. Find sources of inspiration – As stated above, I like to exercise and workout but I did reach certain stages where I felt burnt out. During those times I would frequently read an interview with Scott Rogsby, the first below the knee double amputee athlete to complete the Hawaii Ironman triathlon. Most likely, whatever your goals, there are people out there who have overcome and triumphed in the face of adversity and have done what you would like to be doing. Seek them out when you are feeling overwhelmed.

No comments: