Monday, July 20, 2009

Making Something Your Forte

This year I have taken an interest in doing Triathlons. There was no big aspiration to do them all my life but under the influence of IF and my brother being into them, I have definitely got hooked onto the sport. I enjoy not just training for one sport and the fact that it is not a walk in the park. Every triathlon I do provides some challenge.

This weekend was definitely another challenge at the Peach Classic Triathlon in Penticton. This particular race is actually known as one of the toughest triathlons in the region but yesterday unknown elements added another degree to this event.

The wind was a factor for the swim. There were white caps on the lake which not only made the swim tough but the orange markers marking the swim course kept detaching and floating towards the shore. I definitely hit a low after the swim. My goggles kept filling with water, I had to literally stop and take my goggles off to see where I was going, I kept chocking on the waves when I breathed and lastly I took 6min longer than I wanted. It was a mental battle coming out of the swim and then getting on the bike. I have been an athlete all my life and been at the top of most things so when you are at the bottom of the pack it is a shot to that sports ego. However, in reflection this is why I am doing triathlons. I am nowhere near the top and I know I have a lot to work on but the drive and the passion is there to improve.

The rest of the race was challenging, with a hilly 40km bike ride anda 10km run, with the 2-5km part of the run going up hill. But they were a breeze compared to the swim.

The biggest lesson that I got from this weekend, is to take something that is out of your comfort zone or to do something that is not your forte and make it your forte.

No comments: