Thursday, July 30, 2009

Time is Elastic?


You may or may not have heard the theory that time is in fact elastic. That in space time moves slower than on Earth and that "there is no absolute time, time moves differently from one object to the next and in one location to the next" - (Alan McDougall, Senior Physicist, in reference to Einstein's Theory of Relativity).

Now, I know what you are thinking, what does this have to do with me, this blog, lIFe? Well, to illustrate my point I have a quick story. At a recent doctor's appointment I was kept waiting 25 minutes despite the fact that I had specifically made my appointment for 9am - the first one of the day. Incredibly annoyed and checking my watch every 3-5 minutes time seemed to slow to a crawl. When the doctor finally arrived she commented on how hot the room was, then after pleasantries and observing my mood as being less than excited she asked if I had been waiting long.

It occurred to me that as 'valuable' as her time is, she apparently has quite a bit of it and is not held to a schedule that holds her accountable to others. If I was to walk out the door annoyed and not return it would not affect her livelihood in any way. It would not affect the receptionist who put someone else in another room ahead of me in any way. As they both know there are patients (re:customers) lined up to see them. General Practitioners are in demand and a government facilitated (with free health care to all that need it) necessity.

My day to day life, as with most in the customer service industry (IE. banking, realty, hospitality, finances), especially during these economic times, is exactly the opposite. Time, mine and that of my customers, co-workers and family members, is incredibly important, to myself, and to them. We all work hard to manage it, balance it between spheres and allocate it depending on the carefully mapped out quarter of the year.

My point is, time might be elastic (I'm pretty sure it is for my four year old daughter), my weekends tend to go quickly and my commutes often go slowly, but until you can see this reality for others always treat time as a invaluable commodity.

No comments: