Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Why is Common Sense so Uncommon?


I was driving back from Whistler the other day, and at a certain point I realized that I was getting passed by a number of people. Thinking that maybe I was driving Miss Daisy, I looked down at my spedometer...

I was doing 30km OVER the speed limit. Therefore, all the people passing me... were going even faster.

I slowed down. I knew that it was not going to do a lot to improve the safety of the road, but I certainly wasn't going to contribute to it. I also started to thank that (sadly) all the improvements that they've made on the highway aren't going to make it safer... just like the Patello Bridge, there's no way to fix stupidity. And until people just start slowing down - the roads are going to continue to be unsafe.

How is this related to anything, other than for me to rant about the other morons on the road that continually make it one of the most dangerous forms of transportation?

Because there are numerous examples from our everyday world where common sense continues to elude the public, and people instead look to others to fix the problem instead of just showing a modicum of intelligence.

A few sample hints for people out there that may need a little guidance:
  • If you're worried about road safety because of speed or road conditions, don't ask for a safer highway and better tires - slow down.

  • If you don't fit in airplane seats, don't expect a "disabled" designation and a free extra seat - lose weight.

  • If the food you're eating is unhealthy, don't blame the restaurants for serving it - stop eating it.

  • If you're worried that the cost of cigarettes is getting too high - stop smoking.
Basically - stop talking about what other people AREN'T doing, and ask yourself "What am I doing" first. And if you're not willing to do that, then at least stop asking for others to fix everything for you.

And if you're not willing to do that, even - then for the love of God, just stop complaining.

The rest of us who are doing what we can to make the world a better place would appreciate it.

~Guy

No comments: